Nicholas Herbert is a contemporary English landscape painter currently living and working in St Albans. ‘Silent Spaces’ (2012+) is an ongoing series of works on paper inspired by the chalk uplands of the Chiltern Hills.
26 of these works featured in his solo show at Alan Kluckow Fine Art in April/May 2016 and ‘Landscape L763 The Chiltern Hills’ was also exhibited at the Royal West of England Academy Open last year.
Several of Nicholas Herbert’s landscapes are currently on show at Alan Kluckow Fine Art’s Winter Exhibition.
His Lake Garda Series explores a very different landscape and ‘Landscape L917, Looking North across the Bay of Salò’ can be seen at the Royal Society of British Artists 300th Open, until April 1st 2017 The Mall Galleries, London SW1.
“I make small intimate mixed media landscapes that use my physical and emotional experiences of a place to capture the essence of the landscape, its enduring mass, transient atmospherics and ephemeral qualities of light.
Integral to these works are ideas of the ancient, the mythic, the residual, permanence versus impermanence, decay and renaissance, solitude and exposure.
I want my work to interpret the fundamentals of the topography, in particular revealing its underlying, elemental nature: ancient, primitive, immoveable, timeless, unforgiving.
I use modest materials; a fusion of graphite, pencil, acrylics, gouache, chalk, soft pastel and soluble crayon on paper. My colour palette often consists of organic, neutral, desaturated pigments, which consciously de-prettify the finished pieces. I deliberately make work that needs to be looked at closely, that rewards prolonged examination and deeper engagement”.
Nicholas studied at the Central School of Art, London and The Bath Academy of Art, as a result graduating with a First Class degree in 1978.
Finally, to see more work by this artist visit: http://www.nicholasherbert-drawings.co.uk
Nicholas Herbert is represented by Alan Kluckow Fine Art.
For sales please contact: email@example.com
Paintings (all mixed media on paper):
Silent Spaces Series
- L966 – Sharpenhoe Series, The Chiltern Hills. 22 x 17cm. 2016.
- L968 – Sharpenhoe Series, Looking Across the Bedfordshire Countryside, The Chiltern Hills. 20 x 15cm. 2016.
- L996 – Winter Landscape near Telegraph Hill, The Chiltern Hills. 18 x 13cm. 2016.
- L1019 – Field Sloping Down to a Line of Trees, The Chiltern Hills. 18 x 15cm. 2017.
- L1021 – Looking Out Across Farmland, The Vale of Aylesbury. 18 x 14cm. 2017.
- L1025 – Small Wood surrounded by Farmland in Early Spring. 23 x 19cm. 2017.
Lake Garda Series
- L917 – Lake Garda Series, Looking North across the Bay of Salò. 26 x 13cm. 2016.
- L985 – Lake Garda Series, Monte Pizzocolo and Monte Castello. 26 x 16cm.
- L986 – Lake Garda Series, Looking North Between Malcesine and Limone to Monte Brione. 26 x 16cm.
- L987 – Lake Garda Series, Looking North Towards Monte Brione and Riva del Garda. 26 x 16cm.